Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

An easy DIY on how to make a simple Bolero for any occasion!!!! ^v^

Remember the bolero jacket I was wearing for the Punk'D out Night Dress .... ^^... Well here is the tutorial on how you can make your very own ... \(^o^)/ =>
Well the design for this Jacket is very simple, so it's best made with fabrics that already have an interesting design on it. The inspiration for this jacket came when I was sitting in the library at school and I stumbled on a book on Halston, and all the designs he made when he was still the designer were very simple shapes like circles and rectangles all draped and sewn differently to create elegant garments... I really liked the concept and therefore came up with this bolero... ^^... oh and I forgot to mention that it is best made with a drapey fabric like silk, charmeuse, a light satin and knit. Do not use heavy fabrics for this jacket because I will assure you it probably won't work..... m(.\__/.)m..... Well anyway here's the tutorial I'm going to show you through paper since I'm kinda lazy to re-sew everything again....^_^ =>

Here you are to measure how big you want your bolero to be....... Measure from the Center Back to what ever length you want the jacket to be.... Joking..... ^o^
To make it easier for you guys, the measurement is 24 inches by 30 inches.... How much is that in centimeters I really don't know..... -___-.... But I'm sure you can convert that on Google.... ^^... If you want the jacket to be bigger, it's possible, remember the jacket is on a 3:5 ratio.... ^_^
After cutting the rectangle pattern, you fold the paper like this to prepare for the next step which is to......
Create a neckline!!!! To do that you just find how much you want to drop in the Center Back.... for me I think I dropped around 1 inch and I advice NOT to drop more that 1.5 inches. (The drop means the lowest part of the neckline, in this case the middle of the paper) Then I french curved in the neckline and if you don't have a french curve just try to copy how it looks like on top.... ^^ 
Then you cut out the neck part, and Tadaaa.... Your pattern should look exactly like what I have on top... And then you take this and cut the fabric with this pattern...

Next you are to bind all the edges... yes bind....so that you don't leave any raw edges hanging out...if you don't know how to bind I'll show you in the next couple of steps... if you do then you can just skip the next couple of steps.... ^^V
1. Take a strip of fabric of the size you want... like for example, if you want a half inch binding you need to make the strip 2 inches wide.... 1 inch bind would be 4 inches in width for the strip and so on so far.... I think you shouldn't make the binding anymore than a half inch because it would look too wide in my opinion....  oh and make sure the strip is cut on bias..... which is fabric cut diagonally on the fabric.... if you think this is too hard for you, you can just use straight grain and just cut strips along the sides of the fabric.... or you can just us really wide ribbons.... If any of these work for you, it's fine with me.... ^_^
2. Find the middle which is the red.
3. Fold the top and bottom towards the red center.
4. And fold it in half... Tadaa... now you've made a binding strip...^^ v... and all you have to do is to place the design fabric in between the book(referring to the binding because it looks like a book) and sew down the opening.... ^^ 
Now you can bind any side of a fabric with the strip you've made .... and now back to the main tutorial....=>
Now after the binding, your piece should look something like this.... and yes I just took a marker and drew in the binding which I know looks unflattering....-___-.... but now let's go on to the next step.....^^
Now you just fold it and sew down the ends (the big blue x) like this so that your arms can go through the 2 slits on either side and the jacket is finished.... and make sure to really sew down the edge because I'm just marking where to sew with the 2 Xs....  YAY!!!! \(^o^)/... So now you can wear your newly made garment....
whoops.... not intended for plushies, but....
A nice stylish piece that can go over dresses and tops for any occasion.... (^-^)V... You can make this jacket double sided if you want to.... just make sure you neatly bind everything so that none of the raw edges are sticking out.... If you want to pimp out your own version with lace and other embellishments.... of course you can... I mean there really isn't any rules to this.... Have fun making your own versions and if you'd like, I'd like to see the different versions you guys make.... So that's it for today!!! ^W^ 
Oh and any questions you guys have, feel free to leave a comment down below...^^


1 comment: